For more information, visit the Region of Waterloo's Waste Management website
Curbside Collection Changes coming March 2017
Regional Council has approved changes to curbside waste collection for homes in Cambridge, Kitchener, Waterloo and the Townships of North Dumfries, Wellesley, Wilmot and Woolwich. These changes will take effect in March of 2017, when the new waste collection contract begins. The changes include:
- Bi-weekly garbage collection: Four garbage bag/containers (maximum of 50 pounds or 23 kilograms each) will be collected once every two weeks
- Bi-weekly collection of appliances and bulky items: Three items will be collected once every two weeks
- Weekly blue box and green bin collection in the rural areas of the Townships: Currently, rural areas receive bi-weekly blue box collection and do not receive green bin collection
- Bi-weekly seasonal yard waste collection in rural areas of the Townships: Currently, some areas do not receive yard waste collection
- Bag tag program to accommodate garbage bag/container set-out beyond the four bag/container limit
- Exemption program for special circumstances
The collection changes will result in several benefits, including:
- Preserve and protect our environment
- Better air quality
- Reduce costs and save space in the landfill
- Encourage everyone to think about the waste they generate, and to manage it responsibly
To learn more about the benefits of the collection changes, click here.
How can I stay informed?
- Keep up-to-date on the process by visiting this webpage
- Sign up for our e-newsletter to stay informed about upcoming changes
- Send an email with your comments and ideas
How can I prepare for these changes?
- Monitor your garbage and bulky item set out to see if you will meet the new limits.
- Continue to participate in curbside programs (e.g. blue box, yard waste, and green bin) and drop-off programs (e.g. household hazardous waste, Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity donation centres).
- If you are not green binning but want to (since it will reduce your garbage between 30 to over 50 per cent!), pick up your free kit at either our Cambridge (201 Savage Drive) or Waterloo (925 Erb Street West, Gate 1) administration offices between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
Download My-Waste app. This app has several functions to help you - including quick links to waste management information and reminders for collection schedules. See below for download details. An online version is available, too!